The first Palm City Chamber of Commerce was formed on March 1, 1927. Mr. & Mrs. Charles (Rose) Leighton were its first registered members. When the hurricane of 1928 struck, Palm City was almost completely destroyed; buildings were ripped from their foundations and most everyday business and activities came to a standstill.
In 1978, Palm City merchants again wanted to try their own Chamber. The Greater Palm City Associates, led by businessmen Chick Reinhart and Larry Artrip, felt Palm City needed to form a chamber that would benefit the merchants in this town and enable the community to stand on its own. They wanted to have their own voice in the future of Palm City. One of the challenges faced by The Greater Palm City Associates was the city of Stuart’s attempts to annex 5.5 square miles of the area into the City of Stuart. Their ability to turn back this measure resulted in the birth of the Palm City Chamber of Commerce.
Florida state records show that the Chamber was chartered on November 20, 1978, and the first meeting was held at the Chapman School of Seamanship on Mapp Road. Soon thereafter, the organization’s offices were moved to Forest Hills Funeral Home on Massey Blvd (now Murphy Road) and later to Mapp Road.